Collaboration of Generations

Well in all my excitement at blogging about Nothing New yesterday I forgot that I do, in fact, have Something New to blog about! How silly!

It's actually technically not new either since it's a refurbished second hand garment; unfortunately I forgot to take a 'before' picture but here's the 'after':
Suits you sir
Now you will have to use your brainbox to imagine this shirt with no collar at all; just a plain round neck. Retro-a-go-go, but not terribly flattering. My mum made this shirt many moons ago (I don't ever remember seeing her wearing it); she'd even hand sewn all of the hems; and earlier this month I found it shoved in a 'to go' pile! Whuuuut!
Obviously I was not going to cut this bad boy up, so a collar was the only option. I confused myself totally with the button / placket situation, so I made the collar finish short of that area and then created a bow tie effect to fill in the weird-looking space. I am really pumped with how it turned out although most of the credit obviously has to go to my mum. I love 'masculine' / androgynous styling, am constantly being called an '18th century chimney sweep' and avid readers of my blog (is there anyone out there?) will know of my granny / collar / 60's / psychedelic obsession so to me this is a really good blend of a lot of things that I love!
Penguin goes psychedelic disco garage-a-go-go
I also really like the idea that this is a collaboration of two generation's styles, that interests me. The sleeves are still a little big and odd-fitting so I might adjust those as well, but possibly not because I'm quite scared of messing it up and ruining the whole thing, which would be Very Bad. Cardigans ahoy, then!

I shall leave you with a close up of this fabulously groovy fabric!
Swirly, swirly... swirly crazy thingy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Repair Cafés at the Green and Thrifty Fortnight!

Three Pears Of What?

Newifying Old Shoes