Blue Belle Season

I've been wanting to make more dresses to improve my sewing skills and kill time / use up excess fabric stash so since my friend Aimi is always complimenting my dresses I offered to make her one for her birthday. She had already picked out a fabric she liked from a bargain hoard I bought from lovely Helen:
And although I secretly wanted to keep that fabric for myself, as everyone knows, bagsy is a complete and final done deal!
I used vintage Style pattern 2382 again:
Regular readers might remember that I used it before for this dress, except this time I made it sleeveless (last time I used the sleeve pattern from the overcoat and adjusted it for use in the dress). This pattern is not really intended for stretch fabrics, but the fabric I was using was stretchy, however I found that it didn't make much difference other than being slightly trickier to sew! Despite that it turned out as one of the most well-made and fabulous dresses I've ever created:
And luckily it fits like a glove! And Aimi looks gorgey in it! This was also the first dress I've ever hemmed properly (e.g. by hand) and although it takes a while it certainly gives a nicer and more professional looking finish so I was extra pleased about that. The dress is a sort of landmark for me as I can see that my skills are gradually improving, which is very encouraging!
Some close ups:
La Boutons
I added vintage orange flower buttons to complement the blue, which I think makes the dress extra special! I'm a little bit jealous of Aimi now, but one thing I have realised is that when you make dresses for yourself, you don't really have the opportunity to look at them much, whereas I can admire this one from afar.

Aimi's dress was inspired by Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Pleasure Seekers and halloumi!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Repair Cafés at the Green and Thrifty Fortnight!

Three Pears Of What?

Some People Take A Self-Care Day, I Take 2 Self-Care Years