A True Monsterpiece

Last week I had the chance to decorate a couple of cajóns for the current exhibition at Walford Mill Crafts. I was allowed to do anything I wanted, but I only had a week or so to come up with ideas and finish them off, so big projects were out and considering this I came up with a theme using what I now consider my 'signature colour pallet' and some materials that I already had available.
This was the cojons to start with:
Pretty darn boring. I gave them a sand with sandpaper to tidy them up a bit and then painted them with a bit of leftover paint... and I had a little helper too!
Despite this futile attempt to sabotage me I finished the painting:

They only had to be painted on three sides as the other two sides are for banging and making noise. I seem to have forgotten to take any more 'in progress' photos and skipped straight to the finished drums so here we are:

I used some leftover fabrics with different textures and patterns to create a 'scaly' sort of look on the green one, and some laser cut mirrored acrylic with paper scales for the other one. The mirrored acrylic was a sample from my second year of uni that didn't quite do what it was supposed to do but I held onto it anyway with the intention of using it for a future project; this seemed like the perfect time! I sort of wanted the cajóns to look reminiscent of sea creatures or monsters, or perhaps like they had wings and I really like how they turned out; colourful and fun and happy! I finished them with some glitter tape and they were ready to be put into the kid's corner of the exhibition:
Our sensory activity corner aims to teach children about some of the senses: touch, sight, smell and sound and I think my cajóns fit in well with their differing textures and playability!

That's it for now, but some exciting news will be coming soon!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Repair Cafés at the Green and Thrifty Fortnight!

Three Pears Of What?

Some People Take A Self-Care Day, I Take 2 Self-Care Years