A Christmas Update!

I haven't posted on here in quite some time due to sheer complete and utter busy-bee-ness; there are a few very good reasons for this, which I will now explain!

Gathering
The first and probably most significant is that I've been working on a huge Textile commission with artist Lisa Earley about the Bankes Family of Dorset in conjunction with Walford Mill Crafts and the Dorset History Centre. So most of my spare time has been spent researching in the archives, handling documents from as early as the 1200s, interpreting these documents into craft pieces and all the various admin that goes along with such a project. We've also been working with our local communities; making work with local school and college students as well as independent craft groups to involve the public and raise awareness of the archive. The results of this commission will be in an exhibition called 'Threads of Narrative', opening in March 2018. In the meantime you can follow our progress on Instagram: Threads of Narrative. I've never worked on a commission of this scale before, nor with such an established artist, however I'm learning a lot as I go and working with Lisa, who is infinitely patient and extremely organised, has been a real pleasure.

Another reason why you have not been hearing as much from me is that I have a new 'real job', working in the Education department of Walford Mill Crafts. I'm really enjoying it and all the various challenges that come along with the role!

Aaand in between doing those other things I have also been updating my Etsy shop with a few new things. When I looked back at my blog post from the beginning of this year, I had a sort of vague plan of refining the brand of 'me' and I'm very happy to say that I think I've followed this vague plan rather determinedly and that my style is coming along in a way I'm pleased with.
I've definitely stayed true to my weird and wonderful and completely unique aesthetic, and I'm building up a stock of work that I'm really proud of. I try to play to my strengths when I am designing my work; these are my illustrative and imaginative drawing style, my love of colour and not taking myself too seriously.



That's all for now, I have a busy start to 2018 but hopefully I'll be updating again soon. Until then, goodbye!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Pears Of What?

Some People Take A Self-Care Day, I Take 2 Self-Care Years

Repair Cafés at the Green and Thrifty Fortnight!