Victoria Cross Commission

In 2015 I was approached by Bournemouth Borough Council to create a bespoke covering for a very important unveiling ceremony honouring Cecil Noble, a hero of the First World War and Victoria Cross recipient. Yesterday I was reunited with the unveiling cloth when I was invited to a second ceremony, this one honouring Charles Riggs who was also awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross. The ceremony was held exactly 100 years after his death on 1st October and as I found out from my Mum, I also had a Great Great Uncle who died in the war on the very same day.
It was lovely to be reunited with such a meaningful piece of work that I haven't seen for so long. I put a lot of thought and energy into making the ceremonial cloth and I worked on it at the same time as finishing a major assignment for university and somehow fitted in a trip to Venice as well?! Well played, Past Me.
I used hand embroidery, hand sewing, machine sewing, CAD embroidery with velvets, faux leather, braid, tassels and cotton lining to create a multi-textured effect and to put my own signature on this very traditional design.
Thanks again to Bournemouth Borough Council for inviting me to the service and for this fabulous commission. I am told that the work will now be placed into their archive, hopefully to be preserved and brought out for future generations!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Repair Cafés at the Green and Thrifty Fortnight!

Three Pears Of What?

Some People Take A Self-Care Day, I Take 2 Self-Care Years