Adventures in Hooking! Part One

I subscribed to the 'Art of Crochet' magazine a few months ago and the issues have been arriving Vin Diesel style (Fast and Furious). As a total and utter beginner I was confused by the pictures in the magazine, which didn't always seem to match my samples. I tried searching online to see if anyone else was experiencing the same problem but couldn't find anything. I then ended up even more confused by Googling the terms because after much research I found that there is a difference between American and British terms for the same stitch... probably seems dumb to the veteran crocheter, but no one explained it to me! Eventually I found this chart which helped a lot.

Anyway... it's taken me a while to get the confidence together to end the practice runs and start an actual bonefide project - but I've finally cracked it!
These are the beginnings of a patchwork granny vintage style blanket, I did the squares in this order:
On the left is the 'Redcurrant' coloured 'simple textured square' which comprises double crochet and treble crochet - it makes a stiff fabric and I like the textured pattern a lot.
In the middle we have a basic treble square with cross-stitched pattern in white and pink and the right hand square is a turquoise treble square with pink cross-stitched pattern. I'm not sure if I scaled the cross-stitching too big on these two, so I may re-do that at some point but overall I'm really proud of my efforts so far!
Crocheting proved easier than I thought it would be; I'm trying to master the half treble crochet next, and then I'll be on my way to being one Granny blanket richer!

I mainly like to crochet on Sunday mornings whilst watching: Pinapple Dance Studios, Supernanny and Wife Swap.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Pears Of What?

Some People Take A Self-Care Day, I Take 2 Self-Care Years

Repair Cafés at the Green and Thrifty Fortnight!