Top Trompes

Yesterday I was so excited about getting my Society6 shop up and running that I completely forgot to post about another thing I meant to write about. Last Friday we had a drawing class with Dan Heath for developing themes n stuff; which made a nice change as it's usually an all female year group with all female teachers [not that I have a problem with women of course, being one myself, but it's nice to hear a man's perspective every now and then]. I struggle with drawing days because I can be disheartened when what's on the paper isn't the same as what's in my brain, but by the end of this day I had produced something I really liked:
Donald Trompe-l'œil
It's a 3D heart made from photocopies of my work, stuffed inside, sewn around the edge and with stringys coming all out of it. It looks very Trompe-l'œil; a word I can spell but not pronounce, so don't ask me; and the scan sort of makes it looks like Trompe-l'œil within Trompe-l'œil; aren't photocopiers I cool? 
The heart carries on from my theme of Metropolis and all the stringys and paper strips evoke a veiny spillage feeling. I really like working in this way probably because I came from a making background, so drawing isn't a familiar cosy blanket to me whereas making thingys is. 
Then I made another one:
I used paint spattered paper and sewed this one on the machine rather than by hand for a different look and also it was the end of the day. I don't like this one as much, maybe because it was a bit of a rush to make so there wasn't quite as much love put into it, aww. These pieces will be my next inspiration for moving into stitch and fabric samples and more veins and spillage and 3D. 
That's it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Repair Cafés at the Green and Thrifty Fortnight!

Three Pears Of What?

Some People Take A Self-Care Day, I Take 2 Self-Care Years