Sewn Toy Tales - Melly & Me

Back in May I decided to make a gift for a young family member's second birthday and sadly not being able to find the pattern I had for Karma Chameleon I was forced to hit my local public library for some inspiration. I came across the book 'Sewn Toy Tales' by Melly and Me (aka Melanie Hurlston) and fell in love with the cute faced characters - in particular one 'Darcy the Dinosaur' - and decided this was the toy for me! Or rather for the child in question. 

I used some flowery fabric from my stash along with a plain semi-matching orange fabric and vintage green ric-rac for the ruff. To finish him off I used white felt for the horns (super fiddly to turn inside out but effective) and button eyes.


Umm... can I keep it though?
What do you think? The thing I love most about this toy is that it can stand up all by itself! I was in two minds about the choice of the flower fabric originally, but I'm really happy that I went with this one in the end because it looks so fun and colourful, unique and eye-catching. I'd never made much in the way of 3D objects before but it was surprisingly simple so if you (like me) fancy having a go but feel a bit intimidated then I'd recommend this book as a starting point. Here's the cover:
If you're not really a dinosaur person (umm... excuse me?) then there are plenty of other cute pals in there such as a giraffe, a caterpillar, a mouse and more. But disclaimer - you may want to keep them all for yourself!

Until next time, goodbye from me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Repair CafƩs at the Green and Thrifty Fortnight!

Three Pears Of What?

Some People Take A Self-Care Day, I Take 2 Self-Care Years