Hand & Lock Internship: Day 19

Today when I arrived I was surprised to be asked whether I wanted to join in the tambour beading class; which of course I did! I'd never tried it before I was really lucky to be given the opportunity to try it out under expert supervision. First we tried out the stitches and casting on and off using only the hook and thread:
This part wasn't too difficult as it's just like a chain stitch which I have done before. After that we traced a pattern and started the beading, this was my sample by the end of the day:
A bit wonky in places but not bad for a beginner I feel... I wanted to try several techniques to make the most of the day but the sequins were the most successful and my favourite element to do... interestingly they are supposed to be the most difficult!
I was really pleased that I was asked to join in the class and had a lot of fun; I'd recommend the classes to anyone interested in embroidery or beading as it's a lovely environment to learn in and Hand & Lock really are the experts and very friendly people to boot! The full list of upcoming classes is here.

After the class I stayed on to finish my non-tambour beading sample which I blogged about previously, so here are the final pictures of that one:
It's a little difficult to see from the pictures but I ran turquoise thread through the transparent beads to add a pop of colour, matching the turquoise sequins I had used previously. I would have liked to have spent a little more time on these but since tomorrow is my last day I wanted to make sure it was finished in good time. Hopefully you can still see the sci-fi influence in the shapes I have created:
Tomorrow I'm hoping to work on some creative and experimental samples with the goldwork materials, which will be a great way to end my work experience!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Repair Cafés at the Green and Thrifty Fortnight!

Three Pears Of What?

Some People Take A Self-Care Day, I Take 2 Self-Care Years